Open Position: Resource Assistant/Conference Coordinator
NERCHE (New England Resource Center for Higher Education) is seeking a full-time Resource Assistant/Conference Coordinator. A non-benefitted, full-time position (40 hours/week), the Assistant/Coordinator will use traditional and social-media-oriented research skills to identify and communicate information that supports the work of NERCHE’s Project Compass, a multi-year, grant-funded initiative designed to narrow achievement gaps for underserved students in four New England campuses.
The individual will also lead the coordination and implementation of two project conferences as well as a series of webinars. The Assistant/Coordinator will serve as the liaison to campus-based student representatives who are working on short-term action research projects; the individual communicates technical assistance occasionally to campus administrators and faculty. As a member of the NERCHE staff, the individual will support other NERCHE-related initiatives as appropriate. This is a grant-funded position extending until 12/31/2012 with some possibilities for continuation.
Detailed Job Description: Under the supervision of the Project Director, the Resource Assistant/Conference Coordinator will:
- Plan all aspects of professional conferences/meetings, including pre-planning, site and meeting logistics, on-site management (including troubleshooting on-site), pre- and post-meeting correspondence, and other related activities.
- Provide daily resource updates via email, web-page, and other social media related to campus-based interventions. These will include information about upcoming meetings, recently published reports, or other documents;
- Be responsible for updating the Project Database of research studies and related documents supporting the work of funded campuses;
- Plan, organize, and implement a series of Virtual Think Tanks, webinar-like meetings focused on critical themes and designed to attract national audiences;
- Generate reports, informational and formal communications, and promotional web-based material oriented toward project meetings, Virtual Think Tanks, and other activities;
- Provide technical assistance and peer support for student leaders involved in project activities;
- Collaborate on enhancing social-media presence for the Project, using Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and/or other appropriate resources;
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled Project Compass and NERCHE staff meetings;
- Identify and summarize funding resources for participating campuses;
- Provide planning and logistical support toward the facilitation of campus meetings as needed;
- Fulfill other project-related responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts. Interest in higher education as an area of study preferred.
- Strong web-based research skills demonstrating capacity to conduct Boolean searches and assess appropriateness and quality of intended outputs; web-development skills a plus.
- Fluency using social media to maximize communication among various groups;
- Experience locating project-development and funding resources, including requests for proposals (RFPs) and foundation-based grants;
- Ability to synthesize complex written information and summarize key themes in logically organized reports and/or written briefs;
- Experience and fluency using WebEx, Adobe Connect, and/or other virtual meeting applications to facilitate easy communication and opportunities for collaboration;
- Strong communication skills, including written and spoken communication;
- Strong orientation to collaboration, group work, and active problem solving;
- Working knowledge of general issues related to underserved student success and the structure and culture of colleges and universities in the U.S.;
- Willingness to travel to project meetings, possibly involving overnight stays;
- Evidence of ability to do administrative work under pressure, including flexible problem solving, and team management.
Application Requirements: Send a cover letter and resume documenting evidence of relevant experience and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include names and contact information for three professional references.