Student Organizations Advisor: Evergreen State College
Review of Applications begins: 8/13/2012
This posting may close at any time after review of applications begins. The hiring authority reserves the right and may exercise the option to make a hiring decision at any time after the review date.
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff and has both a non-discrimination policy and an affirmative action plan. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time overtime-exempt Student Organizations Advisor position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. This position is an “at-will” appointment, exempt from Washington State Civil Service rules and the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime requirements.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,800. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $2,658 to $3,056 per month of full time work;
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement;
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen’s excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/employeebenefits.htm
- Exempt employees that work more than .5 FTE will become eligible for the tuition waiver program.
This position exists to provide advisement, guidance, encouragement, training and technical support to a broad range of student organizations.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Student Organization Advisor assists student organizations with achieving their group’s goals and with developing and implementing a wide spectrum of services and activities for the benefit of the student body; assists with interpreting college policies and procedures, as well as state and federal regulations; coordinates the annual orientation and registration of student organizations; assists coordinators with budget formulation and presentation to the Services and Activities Fee Allocation Board, conducts new student coordinator orientation training; presents workshops and other relevant training. The advisor also works collaboratively with the other permanent staff members in the Student Activities Office in achieving the goals and objectives of the unit. This position requires some evening and weekend work.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university; and
- Minimum of two years professional experience working in a higher education setting or similar setting that involved student advising, training, counseling or guidance.
Masters Degree in Student Personnel Administration, Student Affairs, Counseling, Student Development, Higher Education or related field.
- Provide advice and assistance to student leaders in event planning and management, including assisting students with interpreting college policies and procedures, as well as state and federal regulations.
- Facilitate the overall production of student events, including the preparation of facilities and equipment requests, the execution of client services agreements, and the coordination of appropriate promotion and publicity.
- Help student groups with budget requests, and advise student group on purchasing and fund-raising efforts.
- Advise student groups in regards to off-campus travel plans for the group and provide appropriate risk assessment of those activities.
- Assist students and their respective organizations with successfully fulfilling the mission, goals and objectives of their organizations.
- Coordinate the annual orientation and registration of student organizations, including training for the volunteer coordinators in successful use of campus resources and presentation of the Getting Started workshop.
- Serve as a mediator for groups that need to resolve conflicts.
- Conduct annual inventory of student organization equipment and resources.
- Participate in program assessment.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A demonstrated commitment to student advocacy with the ability to assist students in representing themselves and their interests effectively.
- Demonstrate skills and abilities to act as a practitioner guided with a working knowledge of student development theory.
- Ability to provide guidance on event planning and coordination.
- Student leadership programming knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to advise on policies, procedures, rules, laws, etc.
- Ability to advice on topics such as budget requests, fundraising, travel, etc.
- Ability to actively foster a campus climate that is welcoming and supportive of the mission and values of The Evergreen State College.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently with students and staff.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and written communication skills.
- Commitment to and appreciation for diversity and multi-cultural values and the ability to thrive and work effectively with people of different abilities, racial, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds in achieving organizational goals and mission.
- Skill in providing mediation for individuals and groups.
- Computer skills which include the ability to use space scheduling software, integrated operation systems, file sharing, and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of beginning work and may be required to submit to a background check.
- Ability to work non-standard hours, including evening and weekend.
To apply, click here.