College of Communication Arts and Sciences
The College of Communication Arts and Sciences seeks to hire an Advising Specialist
to work with undergraduate students through the ComArtSci Academic and Student Affairs Office. The position will assist with academic advising, course selection, connecting
students with campus and local academic resources and use of technological applications to assist students in developing their academic plan.
Mission Statement for the ComArtSci Academic and Student Affairs Office:
Academic Advisors are student-centered professionals who listen to, challenge, suggest, empower, and refer members of the MSU community and its extended partners to foster a diverse and successful educational experience at Michigan State University.
• To provide academic advising and guidance to undergraduate students enrolled as majors and major
preferences in the College of Communication Arts and Sciences.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in College Student Personnel or related field. Previous experience in an academic environment and 2-4 years of advising experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of tact, empathy and diplomacy.
- Ability to work diplomatically and effectively with faculty, staff, and students, and to use sound
- Detail oriented with outstanding organizational, problem solving and multi-tasking skills.
- Proficient computer skills are required in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
To apply, please refer to Posting #432643 and complete an electronic submission at the Michigan State University Employment Opportunities website www.careers.msu.edu Application reviews will begin May 10, 2017.
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.