Michigan State University kinesiology senior Laura Heyboer scored her 40th goal for the MSU women’s soccer team on Friday, Aug. 19, 2011, making her the top goal scorer in the history of the team. Heyboer’s record-setting goal occurred during the second half of the team’s recent game against UW-Milwaukee. The previous record-holder was Michelle Wise, who set the record at 39 goals in 1989.
During her time at MSU, Heyboer has earned several elite titles, including:
• 2008 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year
• Soccerbuzz.com National Freshman of the Year
• 2008 Big Ten Freshman of the Year
• NSCAA/adidas Third-Team All-America
• SoccerBuzz.com Second-Team All-America
• NSCAA/adidas Great Lakes Region Freshman of the Year
• NSCAA/adidas All-Great Lakes Region First Team
• 2008 First-Team All-Big Ten
Heyboer was also recently selected as one of thirty national candidates for the 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award in collegiate soccer. The award recognizes student athletes that are classified as an NCAA Division I senior and demonstrate success in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition. The selection process for the award is determined by online voting, which will become available to the public in early October.