Transfer Student Information: TEACHER PREPARATION Edition

Are there scholarships for transfer students?

The College of Education does not have a scholarship specifically for transfer students; however, we do offer scholarships for admitted undergraduate students. Scholarships are funded by gifts from faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the College.

I would like to make an appointment with a Teacher Education advisor to discuss transfer admission. How do I schedule an appointment?

Non-MSU students who want to schedule advising appointments can call our office at (517) 353-9680 to request a telephone or in-person appointment. In addition, prospective secondary education students should plan to meet with an advisor in their degree major (e.g., Mathematics, English, Interdisciplinary Social Science, etc.).  To find contact information for individual departments, please use… Read More »

How do I apply for Direct Transfer Admission to the Teacher Preparation program?

You must first apply to Michigan State University through MSU’s on-line application for undergraduate admission and indicate your intention to earn a teaching certificate.  Students interested in becoming elementary teachers should select Education or Special Education (Learning Disabilities) as their major. Students interested in becoming secondary teachers should select the major corresponding to the subject… Read More »

Do I need a certain number of hours of experience with children before I can apply to the teacher preparation program?

Students applying to the teacher preparation program with a major in Special Education will need 42 documented hours of experience with children or youth who have special needs (see Special Education Pre-admission Experience). However, all applicants to the teacher preparation program are asked to describe their experiences with children or youth and incorporate relevant examples from… Read More »

Any other advice for transfer students?

Prospective teacher candidates should get experience working with diverse groups of students (e.g. through tutoring, camp counseling, volunteering in schools, coaching, etc.). Applicants must list their experiences related to teaching or working with youth or children and are expected to incorporate relevant personal examples when they answer questions on the online application. The College of… Read More »