LGBTQ+ Leadership and Service Awards
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
About the Award
•celebrates rapidly changing times for LBGT persons everywhere
•recognizes the shaming of, struggles endured by, and opportunities denied to LBGT persons
•acknowledges the invaluable and tireless work of LBGT persons and their allies in advancing civil rights
•represents the hope of obtaining equality and ending LBGT discrimination
•and seeks to support opportunities for MSU students with the ambition and vision to achieve equality
Each scholarship will be awarded to support student participation in internships, service-learning, volunteerism, campus leadership, funds to support a program you want to create to benefit the community this summer, or study away and abroad programs related to social justice issues that impact the LBGT community. Approximately 10 awards of $1000 will be made.
How to Apply
Each candidate must email their letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send as PDF. Letters of recommendation and other supplemental materials will not be accepted for consideration. Preference will be given to applicants who have at least a 3.0 GPA and are in financial need. Prior award recipients remain eligible to receive the same or other awards in subsequent years. Included in each application is a personal statement, which must not exceed 1200 words (4 pages), and MUST address each of the following:
1. Describe the service or learning opportunity that that you are seeking support for.
2. What is the relevance of this activity to the LBGTQ+ community?
3. How will the award funds be used?
4. How do you anticipate that this award will impact your life and personal development?
5. How will this experience be shared with or meet the needs of the campus community.
6. Describe your involvement or commitment to the LBGT community.
7. Tell us about your need for financial assistance through this award.
This award would be available for expenditure in Summer 2018 or Fall 2018. Graduate students and professional students are eligible to apply.
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Questions: Call 517-353-9520 or email email@example.com with questions.
Please write Award in your subject line.