|Title:||Director, Congressional & Governmental Affairs (Higher Education Policy)|
|Department:||Congressional & Governmental Affairs|
|Supervisor:||Vice President, Congressional & Governmental Affairs|
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), a research, policy and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities is seeking a highly skilled Director to play a key role in the five-member Congressional and Governmental Affairs (CGA) Office on issues related to higher education policy. Working closely with the Vice President, Congressional & Governmental Affairs, the Director will help the development and advancement of APLU’s higher education policy agenda, including issues within the Higher Education Act and Post 9/11 G.I. Bill as well as related budget and appropriations priorities. The position will also focus on engagement with the U.S. Department of Education including through relevant regulatory processes and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Successful candidates will be energetic team players as well as self-starters, have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills, be detail-oriented and be able to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously. A deep interest in the nuances of public policy and commitment to the values and mission of public universities are a must. This full-time position will be based in Washington, DC. For more information, please consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities. With a membership of 241 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU’s agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 4.9 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $44.9 billion in university-based research.
APLU’s Office of Congressional & Governmental Affairs (CGA) leads the association’s engagement with Congress and the administration to advance policy that furthers the ability of public universities to impact society through their education, research and community engagement missions. As a membership association with institutions in all 50 states, APLU is uniquely positioned to effectively advocate for its policy priorities. APLU’s advocacy is conducted in close collaboration with member institutions through its Council on Governmental Affairs, which consists of university federal relations officers.
• Help lead the development and implementation of a proactive federal relations strategy to advance APLU’s policy positions related to higher education including issues related to student aid, higher education accountability, transparency, campus safety, etc. Analyze and track legislation and federal regulations in related areas. The incumbent may also assume responsibilities related to higher education and immigration policy or tax and business policy.
• Work closely with the Council on Governmental Affairs to support the advocacy of member institutions and enhance the association’s advocacy effectiveness.
• Represent APLU to members of Congress and representatives of relevant agencies, including the Department of Education, on policy and funding issues that affect public research universities.
• Engage with partner organizations and coalitions by regularly participating in external meetings and identifying opportunities for collaboration and shared advocacy on issues related to higher education policy.
• In collaboration with the Vice President for Congressional & Governmental Affairs, coordinate and manage programming for APLU’s Council on Governmental Affairs, including monthly calls and quarterly in-person meetings, on related issues.
• Develop policy papers and contribute regular news and analysis on policy issues for the Council on Governmental Affairs and other APLU constituency groups including presidents and chancellors, provosts, vice presidents of student affairs, etc.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• At least eight years of progressively responsible senior-level experience on Capitol Hill, relevant federal agencies, or in positions focused primarily on government affairs, preferably in areas related to higher education policy.
• Possess specialized knowledge and demonstrated content expertise on areas related to higher education policy.
• Experience, ability and desire to interface with high-level university and policy leaders.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; exceptional presentation skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to provide strategic direction and leadership to multiple constituencies
• Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented; able to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
• Strong commitment to advancing higher education initiatives.
• Ability to travel domestically as needed.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject line: Director, Gov. Affairs (Higher Ed). Applications will be reviewed as received and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with experience. APLU provides a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.